Board Certified, Estate Planning and Probate Law - Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Av Preeminent rated, Martindale Hubbell
An attorney should do the following:
An attorney should disclose the following considerations as honestly as possible. Be careful with the following situations:
- If rate is too cheap (too good to be true), or the attorney is reluctant to disclose or discuss it
- Rate is too expensive, but the attorney says that is the "normal" rate
- Promising the case will be resolved in no time (very unlikely to be true) or too long (so he/she can put it off for a while)
- Promising it is going to be a piece of cake or very difficult case
- The attorney provides no or unclear strategy
- The attorney does not explain the strategy so that the client can understand it clearly
- Be careful if the attorney is promising something too quick, too much, too optimistic, or too negative.
- Question of perception: Did you have a good feeling about this lawyer?
- Someone should always have a time to assist you
- If necessary, a lawyer will always be available for you to answer the specific questions you may have
- The attorney should provide clients with copies of all the relevant document
- Communications between attorney and client should be confirmed with writing
- Follow up call, reminder, etc. are desirable
- If you are not satisfied with the current lawyer, fire him/her
- Cross cultural considerations. - Fire him! Do not just hang on to him (Burasagaruna!)
- Do not rely on the rumors such as "He is the best attorney in town" and come to an conclusion that he does a good job
- Do not rely on the rumor such as "he has a good connection" and come to an conclusion that even if he is not a good lawyer his connection will save me when the serious problem may occur
- The client must manage the case. Thus, the client must be informed by his or her lawyer
- Lawyer is a facilitator
- The client controls representation. The lawyer works for you. So, decide what they are to do for you. (Scope of Representation)
- The lawyer should be willing to be managed
- For client, client must be able to manage with sufficient knowledge of substantive law, legal systems, and skill to deal with lawyers
- Extra barrier for the Japanese client due to the:
- Cross-Cultural (be told or listen to what master says)
- Laws and legal system.
- But, at the same time under certain situations, a lawyer needs to be a tiger
- In ideal situation, lawyer is able to switch his role according to the situation and client's needs (cat to tiger, and visa versa)
- In ideal situation, client is able to manage lawyers whether the lawyer is cat or tiger
Client needs "tamed" tiger!!!! so Client can manage
This is Article #1 of two: Fundamentals of Finding a Good Lawyer.
Article #2 is Riding a Tiger / How to manage a Lawyer.